That milestone decision has been made: it’s time for your child to learn to ride a bike! Now, you just need the equipment. Here are 5 reasons modern parents are choosing balance bikes over bikes with training wheels:
- A bike without pedals allows your child to focus on learning one task at a time: balancing. By isolating and allowing them to master this one thing they gain confidence. Your job? Praise, praise, praise them!
- Training wheels prolong the pain! What? Yes, this is true. It takes kids longer to learn to balance correctly on a bike with training wheels. When kids turn on a bike with training wheels, they lean into the training wheel instead of actually learning to balance. This leads to dependence on the training wheels. That’s why, when the trainers come off, kids usually fall and cry and don’t want to get on the bike again. This equals negative experience.
- Very young children can straddle the balance bike and walk. The sooner, the better rule applies here. Most balance bikes are age graded for 3 and up.
- Independence. Yes, your toddler can get a big taste of independence learning to ride a balance bike. They will show you how it’s done mom and dad.
- Training wheels look old fashioned. Yep, this is true and balance bikes have a coolness factor that says you’re an in the know parent.
Why complicate things mom and dad? Lose the training wheels and you’ll have one less thing to manage, your child will amaze you and you’ll be building a foundation of confident kid who owns the world! Hooray for balance bikes!