After writing my lunch box post and I began to research the idea of â€œclean eatingâ€ and I made the decision to get on the scale.Â Wow, that was an eye opener!Â Somewhere over the last five years I gained 25 pounds!Â I only gained 27-30 pounds when I was pregnant.Â How did this happen?!Â Â Oh yesâ€¦eating off my kids plates, too many glasses of wine with my girlfriends, take out dinners when I didnâ€™t feel like cooking, buying quick convenience foods and the list goes on.Â Some of you may be in my position or some of you may have just had a baby and need to lose the extra â€œbaby weight,â€ whatever your reason or motivation, I propose we do this together.
Iâ€™ve tried all sorts of diets over the years but have only been successful in the short term.Â That is why I want to try something new, â€œeating clean.â€ Â Â This is more a lifestyle choice than a diet.Â Another reason to take this path is my children.Â I do not want them to be on a diet or think that they need to lose weight.Â I just want us all to live a healthy lifestyle.Â Â There are so many foods out there that are delicious and nutritious that they love.Â I want to focus on that.
So, here are the basics on â€œeating clean:â€
- Eat Whole Foods â€“ Think foods without labels:Â vegetables, fruits, whole grains, grass-fed and free-range meats, dairy, etc.
- Avoid Processed Foods â€“ Basically this is almost anything with a label.Â This applies especially to labels with items on it that you cannot pronounce.
- Eliminate Refined Sugar â€“ Refined sugar is pure calories.
I know this will be a process.Â I am not advocating running into your kitchen and throwing everything that is processed in the trashcanâ€¦.I have a box of Fruit Loops to finish!Â And one of my biggest vices is my two cups of coffee in the morning with French Vanilla Coffeemate.Â This is going to be a HUGE sacrifice for me.Â Itâ€™s what gets me going in the morning.Â I recommend working through the items you have in your house and then do not buy anything new that is not â€œclean.â€
Here are the steps I will take to jumpstart the plan:
- Finish my Coffeemate and then switch to green tea.
- Eat one clean meal a day until kitchen pantry is â€œclean.â€
- Drink 8 8oz glasses of water a day.
- Eat 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day.
- Avoid second servings.
- Skip my glass of wine at least 5 days a week.
Letâ€™s start with the clean eating and then we will address getting moving very soon (at least walk for now.)Â Walking is great exercise and even better if you are pushing a stroller with a baby or toddler in it!